4.26.2010

"Have you thanked a Teacher today?"

Today is Day 3 of the Orange County teacher's strike. 90% of the district's teachers are on strike, and 90% of the district's students were absent from school . . . again.

While I live in Downtown Los Angeles, and am not directly affected by the strike - I can't help but be saddened by what is going on. Sad, and disappointed.

Sad that the state is intending to cut teacher's pay permanently by 10% - sad that the students are loosing out on their right for a quality education - sad that this is the resolution for a $34 million budget shortfall for the coming school year, and this will only make up half of that . . . but disappointed in our community and lack of support for those that educate our children.

Lack of support for our educators, for the ones that have the power to inspire our children, the next generation. Lack of support for such huge role models, mentors, and friends.

These are some comments posted online regarding the strike:

"Give the teachers the weekend to think about it, and if they're not back in class by 8:00am Monday, REPLACE THEM. There are THOUSANDS of unemployed teachers in California that are looking for work. These spoiled OC teachers don't realize how good they have it. Medical, pension, 401k (or 457), good benefits, JOB SECURITY, etc......"

"And all these years the teachers and the LIBERAL school system has ENCOURAGED illegal immigration and FOUGHT any attempt to deport illegals, now you get your pay cut. Thanks to you, and to the illegals for BANKRUPTING YOUR OWN SCHOOLS and CUTTING YOUR OWN THROATS."


I have to believe that this is not a strike over money - it's about respect.

How many of us have said that we want to be a teacher when we grow up? How many of us have mothers or fathers that are teachers - or friends who have mothers and fathers that are teachers? How many of us have had teachers at our weddings - or stood amongst a giant crowd at their funerals?

Inspired, loved, honored and cherished teachers are the best gift that we could possibly give to our children, to our future, and to this world.

While I hope that I have the power to change the minds of the cynics who've posted their negativity online - I know that I have the power to touch the minds of the teachers.

So - in times of educational uncertainty - all I have to say, is "have you thanked a teacher today"?

No comments:

Post a Comment