5.09.2010

"A Mother's Shoes"

There are very few moments in life when we get the opportunity to step foot into the shoes of someone we love.

The irony in this - I don't think we ever know that we're going to, until we're standing there - small feet in the big shoes that we can't quite fill, taking snapshots of life through their eyes.

It's Mother's Day today, and my mother has a pair of these shoes. While she'd probably like for them to be red patent leather pumps - I'd say that they are most likely a worn pair of tennis shoes. They've chased multiple kids through milestones, victories, loss and celebration - for nearly 30 years now. They've witnessed tears and laughter, they've trekked from coast to coast to make sure that these same children who slept for years in her bed, now have a comfortable place to call their home away from the home that will always be home.

Thinking back to the day that my daughter was born . . . I had been in the hospital for 18 days. I had 18 days worth of hairy legs to stare at . . . and 18 days worth of no make-up, no blow dryer, and chipped nail polish. I had 18 days of hospital gown wearing, daytime TV show watching, and more jello eating than a single person should ever admit to. Those were the things that were on my mind before Olivia actually came into the world. What happened after is a whole new story. It's when, what I think of as, my true life began.

I remember the moment when she took her first breaths out of my body. I remember when I heard her first cry. I remember her being carried to the weigh station in the corner of the room - and all I could do was hold my breath and think, that's my baby girl . . . she's here . . . I need to know her, I need to hold her . . . that's my baby girl . . . and I am her mother.

At that moment I remember having tears in my eyes - and just wishing that somehow, through the thousands of miles that were separating us, my mom could hear me exhale and just say, "Thank You".

That was the first moment that I really knew what it felt like to stand in those hard-to-fill shoes. I had brought a beautiful little girl into the world. I was going to keep her safe for the rest of my life. I was going to love her and hold her, and support her, and lift her up to do wonderful things . . . for all of the rest of the days of my life. It was the most powerful moment I could have ever imagined.

So - as today is a day of gratitude and appreciation - I just have to say, "Thank You, Mom". Thank you for wearing those shoes so wonderfully. Thank you for keeping me safe, thank you for loving me and holding me, and supporting me and lifting me up do wonderful things. I got to stand in your shoes at that moment.

With your guidance and love - I stepped out of those shoes and have been breaking in a pair of my own now. I'm still getting used to them . . . they do give me blisters sometimes, and sometimes I trip on the laces . . . but with any luck - I'll break them in just as you have, and just as you have - I hope that someday I'll have the opportunity to lend them to Olivia.

This day was created for Mom's like you.




2 comments: