I work for an office that has about 150 employees.
There are 26 offices, world-wide.
I am one person . . . I sit in one task chair . . . behind one computer monitor . . . at one desk . . . every day. There are about 2 1/2 millions Americans who can probably say something quite similar.
The really cool thing . . . is that while I am only one person . . . I work for a company that actually wants to listen to my one voice.
About two months ago, I presented a concept to my HR Director, and the firm-wide HR Director - asking them to support an idea that embraced community service and philanthropy, made it part of our business model, and a requirement of it's employees. Immediately, they jumped on board. I could not ask for more.
Then, just two weeks ago - the Executive Board asked for 'Big Ideas' that could transform our practice, and push us to be even bigger leaders in our industry. I put forward the same recommendation that I had spoken with the HR Director's about.
My entire office broke into groups to discuss the 40 'Big Ideas' that were being considered. Those 40 'Big Ideas' were narrowed down to 6. And those final 6 were presented in front of the office for a final vote. We were voting on a single idea that we would commit to and stand behind, and put into action by the end of the year.
I spoke passionately about an office-wide dedication to global community service, and philanthropy - as well as mentorship programs, partnerships with our vendors and manufacturers, integrating moments of outreach into our business model and our personal development plans . . . using our office as a pilot office, with the hope of making this new 'standard' something that spreads firm-wide.
I spoke about how this would be a great opportunity for team building, community involvement and public relations. How we could partner with our clients, our peers, our competitors, all to give back to the world that gives so much to all of us.
Well . . . guess what . . . this 'Big Idea' won the big vote.
It will be discussed in depth at the Executive retreat . . . laying the ground work for actually putting it into place. It will be formally integrated into our practice by the end of the year.
Now, while I am just one person . . . with one little name tag on my one little space, at the very back of our big warehouse of an office . . . today I made a difference.
Today I took the opportunity to gain the support of my peers, influence the Executive's of one of the most highly regarded Architecture firms in the country, and make my passions known.
Today my voice was heard.
I'm so excited! I feel like I just won something really big . . . like I want to jump up and down and celebrate!! And I did win . . . and it was a big win . . . and we all won something today . . . and I do want to celebrate that.
For anyone who has ever thought that they were just one person . . . guess what, one person is enough!!

No comments:
Post a Comment