7.24.2010

"Through the Eyes of a Child"

"If I could see the world thru the eyes of a child, what a wonderful world this would be. There'd be no trouble and no strife, just a big happy life, with a bluebird in every tree." - Patsy Cline, If I Could See the World (Through the Eyes of a Child)


Olivia has a new favorite word, "Wowwwwwww!!!". Even writing this makes me smile - because it's not a simple, "Wow", it's a looong, exagerated, eyes w-i-d-e open and jaw dropped to the floor, "Wowwwwwww!!!".
For example - the first photo below was this morning, enamored by a bouncing ball; and the second was last night, as we were sitting on our bed watching the planes fly by.


You would think that she had just seen a flying pig - but instead, this is her reaction to a bus going by, a tree's leaves blowing in the wind . . . a dog running, a plane in the sky, a bouncing ball, a flower in her hand . . . anything. Everything.

I wondered where she learned this word, and then I realized that I shouldn't be suprised at all:




People often ask, "What is the greatest thing about being a mother?".

My answer has changed a few times over the last 15 months - but now, with a child that can run wild on her own, and is starting to talk - my answer is simple. I am truly able to see the world through the eyes of a child - and just as the lyrics above suggest, it really is the most wonderful thing in the world.

The world is filled with such beauty and grace, with moments so simple but which have the power to take your breath away. Moments that make you stop and just say, "Wowwwwwww!!".

I'm not sure if it's the innocence of a child, or the raw emotion that they naturally convey - but the little outbursts of Olivia's new favorite word, allow me to see the world through her bright blue eyes, and I love the view.

I know she'll soon speak sentences . . . but I hope she never outgrows this simple word. I hope she never loses sight of the beauty in everyday things, and everyday moments. I hope they continue to make her stop, and drop her jaw, and open her eyes big and wide, and take her breath away.

So for now . . . this is my favorite thing. A gift that she'll never know she's given to me . . . and I get to open it time and time again . . . every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment